I apologize for the lack of good pictures, but it was so good I forgot to shoot pics before eating!
Watermelon Salad with Feta and Mint
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- One 8-pound seedless watermelon, scooped into balls with a melon baller or cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks (10 cups), chilled
- 1/2 pound feta cheese, crumbled (2 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 small sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup coarsely chopped mint leaves
In a large bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, salt, Tabasco and pepper. Add the watermelon, feta, olives and onion and toss gently. Garnish with the mint and serve.
Tangy Tomatillo-Cumin Salsa
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and cored
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed and halved
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- In a large saucepan, cover the tomatillos, onion, garlic and jalapeño with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until the tomatillos lose their bright green color, 8 minutes. Drain, transfer to a blender and let cool.
- In a small, dry skillet, toast the cumin seeds over moderate heat until fragrant, shaking the pan, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder and let cool slightly.
- Grind the cumin to a powder and add it to the blender along with the cilantro and sugar; puree until smooth. Season the salsa with salt and serve chilled.
Hope you enjoy and happy eating!!