Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Gluten-Free Cooking Club

Five years ago, in September 2004, my cooking club was born, where a group of 8 girls would meet once a month at another members' apartment in NYC, to make a home-cooked meal on a budget of $10 per person.

Three years ago, in September 2006, I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, resulting in an inability to consume any gluten - a protein found in wheat, rye, barley and malt.  I would need to eat Gluten-Free for the rest of my life in order to stay healthy.

Besides experiencing the normal feelings of sadness, depression, anxiety, fear about this huge lifestyle change, I was also concerned about cooking club.  How would this group adjust to my needs?  Should I just drop-out?

The answer was no.  I took this as a challenge to continue to be a part of this club, while making special arrangements for my portions to be gluten-free.  The group was extremely accommodating, and they all quickly adjusted to ask about my needs.

This blog will serve as a Gluten-Free recipe guide, sharing the meals we have cooked in the past, and posting the new recipes we try each month.

I hope you find these recipes useful and I encourage you to post comments.  Let me know if you have any suggestions on future meals that you would like us to make gluten-free. 

I am proud to have conquered this fear of GF cooking, and I am excited to have you all along for the journey as this September we enter another year of cooking club together.

I welcome you all as honorary members of the The Gluten-Free Cooking Club.

1 comment: