The chorizo added a nice smoky flavor, but we may have added too many hot peppers! Our fingers were numb for hours after cutting them into small pieces (note to self: use gloves next time!) I usually eat this with GF spaghetti, but you can also serve this with corn chips or GF corn bread.
|2||lbs. ground beef|
|1||package chorizo (about 12 oz.)|
|1||yellow onion, chopped fine|
|4||garlic cloves, diced fine|
|1||yellow pepper, chopped medium|
|2||green peppers, chopped medium|
|3-4||Jamaican hot peppers, diced|
|2||cans diced tomatoes|
|1-2||chipotle peppers in adobo sauce|
|2||cups GF beef broth|
|1/4||tbsp. chili powder|
|1/4||tbsp. cayenne pepper|
|1/2||jar tomato sauce|
|2||tbsp. tomato paste|
|1/2||cup shredded cheddar cheese|
1. In a large Dutch oven, brown beef over medium heat by breaking it into small pieces with a wooden spoon.
2. Remove when brown and reserve for later use. Cut chorizo into bite size pieces and add to pot. Brown for about 2-4 minutes.
3. Remove chorizo and drain grease.
4. Add onion until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
5. Add in green and yellow peppers, and cook for a few minutes, then add in the hot peppers, cook for about 2-3 minutes.
6. Add in 1 cup beef broth, spices, and cover cooking until softened about another 4-5 minutes.
7. Add the beef and chorizo back to the pot and stir. Add in the crushed/diced tomatoes, stir and cover. Reduce heat to medium/low.
8. In separate saucepan, add in the tomato sauce and paste, stir until combined.
9. Heat until smooth and add to Dutch oven with other cup of beef broth.
10. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
11. Add in chipotle peppers and 2 teaspoons of adobo sauce.
12. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
13. When you are ready to eat, prepare the GF spaghetti following the directions on the box. Add into the bowl with chili and add shredded cheddar cheese on top before serving.