Wednesday, December 29, 2010
Holiday Treat: Tiramisu
This holiday I was happy to make my new husband his FAVORITE dessert, tiramisu, GLUTEN-FREE - thanks to Schar's gluten-free ladyfingers! I found these at Whole Foods and they tasted light and airy, with a slight tangy lemon-zest.
This is a family recipe from my sister-in-law and it came out great. I'll definitely be making this dessert for many years to come. I needed 2 packages of the ladyfingers and used an 8" square cake pan.
I also wanted to thank Starbucks as they were super helpful and provided me with the espresso beans, ground special for me, and given to me for free!
6 egg yolks
3 tablespoons sugar
1 lb. mascarpone cheese
1 1/2 cups espresso, cooled
2 teaspoons dark rum
24 ladyfingers (2 packages of Schar's Gluten-Free Ladyfingers)
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate shavings
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1. Beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale - about 5 minutes
2. Add cheese and beat until smooth
3. Add 1 tablespoon of the espresso and mix well
4. In small shallow dish add remaining espresso and rum. Dip the lady fingers in it the espresso for 5 seconds
and place the soaked ladyfingers in the bottom of an 8" cake pan.
5. Spread 1/2 of the cheee mixture over ladyfingers
6. Add another layer of ladyfingers and top with remaining cheese mixture
7. Cover the top with a layer of cocoa powder
Refrigerate for 2 to 8 hours. Add chocolate shavings just before serving