Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Holiday Treat: Tiramisu


This holiday I was happy to make my new husband his FAVORITE dessert, tiramisu, GLUTEN-FREE - thanks to Schar's gluten-free ladyfingers!  I found these at Whole Foods and they tasted light and airy, with a slight tangy lemon-zest.

This is a family recipe from my sister-in-law and it came out great.  I'll definitely be making this dessert for many years to come.  I needed 2 packages of the ladyfingers and used an 8" square cake pan. 

I also wanted to thank Starbucks as they were super helpful and provided me with the espresso beans, ground special for me, and given to me for free! 



Ingredients
6 egg yolks
3 tablespoons sugar
1 lb. mascarpone cheese
1 1/2 cups espresso, cooled
2 teaspoons dark rum
24 ladyfingers (2 packages of Schar's Gluten-Free Ladyfingers)
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate shavings
1/2 cup cocoa powder

1. Beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale - about 5 minutes
2. Add cheese and beat until smooth
3. Add 1 tablespoon of the espresso and mix well
4. In small shallow dish add remaining espresso and rum.  Dip the lady fingers in it the espresso for 5 seconds
and place the soaked ladyfingers in the bottom of an 8" cake pan.
5. Spread 1/2 of the cheee mixture over ladyfingers
6. Add another layer of ladyfingers and top with remaining cheese mixture
7. Cover the top with a layer of cocoa powder

Refrigerate for 2  to 8 hours.  Add chocolate shavings just before serving

1 comment:

  1. Love your new blog Rachel!
    I sent it to my niece, Michaella, who is also a gluten-free newlywed!
    Is there a book in the future?
    Love, Cousin Meredith

    ReplyDelete